SR MANAGER – APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
Technology Solutions ~ Project Management ~ People Leadership
Accomplished, results-oriented leader with ten+ years of progressive experience in information technology. Managed design and development of innovative, effective solutions. Driven multi-million dollar projects from inception to production. Managed large software development teams staffed with employee, contract, off shore engineers, business analysts, project managers and support staff. Skills in public speaking and delivering audience tailored presentations.
Areas of expertise include:
Project Management – Strategic Planning – Resource Management – Negotiation – Budget Development – Employee Development – Technical Architecture – Project Recovery – Project Efficiency
Southwest Airlines, 1999-2005; 2006-Present
- Led 30+ person development team responsible for designing and building a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) responsible for all reservations and ticketing activity at Southwest.
- Turned multiple projects from behind schedule / over budget company problems into on-time / on-budget success stories.
- Managed primary development team for multi-year / multi-million dollar company initiatives including loyalty program overhauls, and ticketing engine re-hosts.
- Agile methodology champion implementing real world agile principles at Southwest for the first time.
- Large team efficiency expert continually improving velocity, process, and accountability for large 30+ person teams.
- Final decision maker for innovative technical / architectural solutions.
- Continually promoted through the ranks, from college new hire to Sr. Development Manager for multi-million dollar products.
Sr Manager – Business Services, 2006-Present
Leader of talented software development team responsible for new program development over Southwest’s Service Oriented Architecture. Mature SOA system processed billion+ transactions per month handling all business functionality for southwest.com, customer kiosks, ticket counter applications, and call center applications. Software supports mission critical applications requiring high throughput, high availability, and distributed architecture. Responsible for all aspects of managing project development team including hiring, performance appraisal, progressive discipline, budget, timelines and quality of product.
Rapid Rewards 2.0
- Led development team responsible for overhaul of loyalty program including integration of Ticketing engine with Siebel.
- 30+ person team consisted of Project Managers, Business Analysts, and System Engineers.
- Implemented Agile development process for first time at Southwest.
- Successfully managed large development team through implementation of leadership hierarchies and project processes aimed at holding team accountable for strong designs, bug free code and on-time deliverables.
- Led development team responsible for building new system used by Finance Dept to process Refunds for Southwest Airlines.
- Took over failing project mid development as team had fallen behind schedule and over budget. Introduced new processes and team members eventually bringing project to production on-time.
- 25+ person team consisted of Project Managers, Business Analysts, System Engineers (both Front End and Back End), and QA Testers.
- Java based solution utilizing back end SOA and front end Struts framework.
eTicketing Replacement Program
- Led development team responsible for building and transitioning from 20 year old proprietary Ticketless system to industry standard eTicketing system.
- 20+ person team consisted of Project Managers, Business Analysts, and System Engineers.
- Java based solution implemented Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) at SWA for first time.
Manager of Software Infrastructure, 2004-2005
- Managed day-to-day operations of a team of engineers working on the southwest.com website that produced more than $3 billion in e-commerce revenue in 2005.
- Oversaw foundational systems, including threading systems, session handling, and process intercommunications; software connectivity with other systems via CORBA, TCP/IP, XML, TIBCO, and Websphere MQ; custom bulk email systems sending up to 10 million emails weekly; off-site software monitoring systems; software load balancing; Oracle RAC database connectivity suite; and iPlanet and Apache web servers.
- Approved all code changes and technical designs; assisted engineers with technical problems.
- Evaluated performance of engineers and handled all employee issues.
Senior Software Engineer, 1999-2004
- Created new features for southwest.com website, primarily utilizing skills in C++, CORBA, and HTML, as member of development team of 75 engineers and code base of thousands of C++ objects.
- Participated in all phases of Waterfall software development model from planning, to UML technical designs using Rational Rose and Microsoft Visio, to implementation and testing.
- Held sole responsibility for technical functionality of website’s connectivity via CORBA and TCP/IP to SAAS airline reservation system.
- Called upon to participate in all time-sensitive, business-critical projects due to advanced abilities in developing stable code quickly and efficiently.
- Utilized extensive system knowledge and expertise in troubleshooting to serve as primary point of contact for critical system outages.
Notable projects included:
- Online Change Itinerary: Users can change itinerary online; listed as inventor on patent.
- Flight Status Information: Allows ability to view flight status online.
- Southwest Shortcut: Users can view cheapest flights over 30-day period.
Director Application Development
- Oversaw technical design, construction, and maintenance of eHiring.com and JobDeputy.com web portals, which are high-availability LAMP (Linux, Apache, mySQL, PHP) driven sites utilizing PHP object oriented design, mySQL databases, and custom-written C++ applications.
- Directed 10+ person off shore development team implementing processes to ensure requirements were met with quality on time solutions.
- Responsible for overall architecture decisions including formulation for high-availability multi-server/multi-datacenter hardware configuration utilizing mySQL replication over secure SSH tunnels and automatic software failover mechanisms.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, Austin, Texas
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, 1999